Grass mats are a fantastic solution and an excellent surfacing choice for many customers. However grass mats aren’t for everyone, and if you choose a low-quality product, you may find there can be problems with grass mats.
In our opinion, there are five key problems with grass mats;
Low quality grass mats can sink in poor ground conditions. This causes puddling in wet weather and a major trip hazard if left without repair.
2. Mats coming apart
If the grass mats are installed poorly or incorrectly, they are likely to come apart over time, or may even separate from regular use.
3. They could be ripped or damaged by vandalism
Lower quality grass mats are lighter and therefore may rip apart easier. This makes it easier for the mats to be damaged, either by accident, or on purpose through vandalism.
4. Some are bulked out with padding
One problem we’ve noticed with cheaper grass mats is that they are often bulked out with padding or potentially sharp metal fibres. Some manufacturers reduce the weight of their mats by making the honeycomb structure thinner and increasing the length of the nipple. This makes for a weaker, less durable mat.
Grass mats have to be lifted periodically to be shaken to remove loose soil and any unwanted seeds. Cheaper mats will need to be lifted and shaken more often than higher quality ones.
Solutions to problems with grass mats
Now, we don’t want you to think it’s all doom and gloom. There are solutions to all of the aforementioned problems, which we’ll go into detail now.
1. First up; to prevent mats from sinking, if the ground is particularly poor, we recommend the installation of our SmartPlay shock pad. This layer of foam is installed underneath the mats, helping them retain their position and preventing them from sinking.
2. To prevent problems with grass mats coming apart, the main thing we recommend is to use a trusted, experienced installer that knows what they’re doing. Here at PlaySmart, we have over 15 years experience and train our contractors to exacting standards. Plus, to top it all off, we offer a 5 year Installation Guarantee on our EcoSmart and FireSmart Installations!
3. Whilst vandalism can’t always be avoided, in high-risk areas, we recommend installing a heavy-duty grass mat. Our grass mats weigh 13.5kg as standard, and we offer a fire-retardant option too for playgrounds with timber equipment.
4. Our grass mats feature a thick, outer edge for extra strength and durability. The mats also have a thick honeycomb structure and smaller nipple, meaning more rubber, and less chance of damage to the matting.
5. Finally, grass mats that have been installed alongside our SmartPlay shock pad don’t need to be lifted or shaken due to the reduction in variations in the ground. SmartPlay has a range of other benefits, including enhanced fall height protection, reduced maintenance and prevention of mats sinking into the ground. And what’s more, is that if your grass matting does need replacing due to damage or vandalisation, it is a lot easier to replace mats that have been installed as part of the SmartPlay System.
We hope you now better understand the problems with grass mats, and how they can be solved or prevented. If you have any questions or are interested in our EcoSmart grass mats or SmartPlay shock pad system, feel free to get in touch. Our office number is 01564 742811 or you can email firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll be happy to help!